Scotland’s Shipyards -
This well known shipbuilder had a somewhat fortunate beginning, as a result of the need for shipyards during the First World War. This emergency yard was built in 1918 along with the Blythswood yard on the Clyde and Haverton Hill on the Tees in England.
So fully equipped with the latest tooling and layout for shipyards they began the construction of Ship’s, with the first ship launched in 1918/19. With ships up to 450ft in length, being built on all four berths. The shipyard soon became known for building good ships in the 7,000 to 10,000 tons range and many such ships were built during WW2 including 2 MAC merchant aircraft carriers.
They continued with a steady stream of ships being built after WW2 then the yard hit financial difficulties in 1968, put into receivership with the last ship built and handed over in 1969. Most of the yards equipment was sold cut-price to the recently formed amalgamation of Robb Caledon (Leith & Dundee yards). Many of the men were taken on at the Leith yard with two shipyard buses provided for them every morning.
Helen Millar on the stocks ready to launch in spring of 1969
The Shipyard closed on 19 July 1969, just over 51 years after the keel of the first ship, the 'Sunbank', was laid on 25 June 1918.
A fair bit of information is at the website run by Burntisland Heritage Trust.