She was another tough little ship for the New Zealand market to be owned by the USSC of NZ. MV Kamona she would be registered in Melbourne.
Soon after the end of the Second World War, the Union Steam Ship Company directed its attention to the re-starting its Tasmanian cargo services. A new ship, Kamona was the first to arrive in 1949. She was 1,785grt at 235ft in length with a beam of 45ft.
Kamona operated from Strahan on the West Coast of Tasmania to Yarraville in Port Phillip Bay, carrying pyritic ore cargoes, supplemented at times by two other Leith built ships, Koonya or Kumalla.