Scotland’s Shipyards –
As we move north around the east coast of Scotland, we arrive at Aberdeen which was a great centre of shipbuilding for many years. For a few centuries shipbuilding was carried out at Aberdeen.
The following is a condensed version from the very good Council run website on Aberdeen Shipbuilders (Once again “Where is the Edinburgh” equivalent)
Hall, Russell & Co. Ltd.
Ship Builders; 1864 - 1992
“Hall Russell & Co. Ltd was the last of the Aberdeen shipbuilders, closing in 1992. The firm made iron and steel ships, ranging from cargo vessels to warships.
Hall Russell & Co., Engineers and Iron Shipbuilders, was founded in 1864. The firm was a partnership between James and William Hall, sons of Alexander; Thomas Russell, a Glasgow engineer, and John Cardno Couper of Sussex. Initially, the company built engines and boilers but in 1868 produced its first ship, the iron steamer Kwang Tung.
During the First World War, Hall Russell constructed minesweeper trawlers. They built 'Flower Class' corvettes, frigates and other defence vessels during World War 2.
In 1942 the Yard was taken over by the Burntisland Shipbuilding Co and was joined in 1953 by Alexander Hall & Co.
After the war, the company returned to fishing and cargo vessels
In 1971 Hall Russell delivered the largest ship ever built in Aberdeen, the 10500 tons deadweight cargo vessel Thameshaven, for a Rotterdam owner.
Hall Russell became part of the state-owned British Shipbuilders in 1977 and was one of its most successful yards.”
Mostly due to having built an enclosed building berth. The last ship was built in 1990, once the St Helena was completed the yard did some repair work but was closed down in 1992.
Just one of many fine ships built at Aberdeen’s Hall Russell shipyard.